Which DRM for pc version?

This is the right place to share your game experience and feelings! Feel Free!

Re: Which DRM for pc version?

Postby mupet0000 » 29 November 2012, 08:07

Freki wrote:Hi,

It's important for a studio to protect its games that's why Of Orcs and Men will have a DRM protection.

As Of Orcs and Men is a game inviting you to play an orc, it would be great if you can play on console if you don't like DRM version.

Freki.

Hi,

Your game was pirated and cracked in October on PC. Pirates can play with no activation limits, paying customers can't. This is STUPID, you should remove the activation limits from your game now that pirates are having a better experience than paying customers.
mupet0000

Postby Drooling » 29 November 2012, 10:03

Seriously? I will just pirate the damn game then! Because, you know, DRM DOES NOT PREVENT FUCKING ANYTHING? The game was cracked a long time ago and anybody who pirates does not have any activation limits at all.

Seems I will be joining them.

You should learn one fucking thing: Drm does not prevent piracy, at all, and it will just affect legit, loyal customers. Hell, I know a lot of people who are not buying this because of the idiotic DRM. Just remove it already.
Drooling

Postby Motoki » 24 December 2012, 20:56

Forget it guys. Cyanide and Focus don't have a clue. They're living in the last century.

Their ridiculous DRM doesn't deter pirates, only paying customers but they refuse to listen to reason.

Ignore them and spend your money on other games where they don't inconvenience paying customers.
Motoki

Postby Orcmen » 16 January 2013, 03:04

Since a few days or weeks (It definitely wasn't there at the time I bought it) Steam shows, that this game uses a DRM called ACTControl, and that there is a "10 machine activation limit".

What exactly does that mean?
I can only install the game 10 times on a computer?
- If So, what happens, if I reached this limit, what can I do?

Or can I install the game on 10 different machines?
Orcmen

Postby Freki » 18 January 2013, 11:15

Hi,

You can install the game on 10 different PC at the same time but don't be afraid. If you uninstall the game from a PC, you can install it on another one.
OF ORCS AND MEN
Focus Team
Freki

Postby Orcmen » 18 January 2013, 11:54

Freki wrote:Hi,

You can install the game on 10 different PC at the same time but don't be afraid. If you uninstall the game from a PC, you can install it on another one.

Ok, thanks.

Since I don't have 10 PC's, I'm unaffected.
Which also means, many other gamers are not affected by this drm.
Orcmen

Postby Denton » 04 May 2013, 19:17

Freki wrote:You can install the game on 10 different PC at the same time but don't be afraid. If you uninstall the game from a PC, you can install it on another one.

Despite the low metacritic/reviews, I'm still very tempted to buy Of Orcs and Men, but the DRM is putting me off.
If I choose to buy this at all, it will be on Steam.
I love re-configuring my system and I'm constantly upgrading it, so would you mind answering these queries?

- What happens if I have a harddrive crash or a RAID array failure.. I'll be unable to uninstall, so will I lose one activation every time that happens?
- Other than uninstalling, is there a de-activation tool which allows me to see how many activations I've used?
- What triggers the activation change? Is it BIOS, LAN/MAC address, additional hardware.. or what?
- I image clone my HDD for backups and TRIM erasing, but when restoring the image, the HDD signature will change, will this trigger another activation?

Why have you added an additional layer of DRM on top of Steam release?
In all honesty, you've made piracy a much more easier and attractive option. For a start I wouldn't have had to register at a forum to question the DRM policies - I'd have just download the game.

You've suggested that if I'd like a DRM free version, I should buy a console? Hm, I guess I could buy a copy of Orcs and Men second hand off ebay?
Surely that causes much more of an impact on your sales than crippling customers on the PC version (who can't even resell it)?
Denton

Postby Orcmen » 04 May 2013, 21:30

Compared to the most other DRM's out there, this one is a harmless DRM, so don't worry.
Orcmen

Postby Denton » 05 May 2013, 01:43

Orcmen wrote:Compared to the most other DRM's out there, this one is a harmless DRM, so don't worry.

Thank you random stranger on the internet!

Please don't take offense, but as I don't know you or your credentials regarding DRM, I'm unable to verify that what you're saying is in fact true.
You've not addressed any of my concerns, so unfortunately I'll continue to worry about activation limits until my questions have been answered.
:)
Denton

Previous

Return to General