Which DRM for pc version?

This is the right place to share your game experience and feelings! Feel Free!

Re: Which DRM for pc version?

Postby mrwar » 01 October 2012, 15:00

Come on, someone answer us, is there Act Control DRM on the Steam version? Just a yes or no answer will suffice.
mrwar

Postby Vainamoinen » 05 October 2012, 22:08

System requirements state INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED FOR THE GAME ACTIVATION.

I'd assume that this not only applies to the Steam version, but also to the retail release, which reportedly does not have Steam.

But I definitely concur: Come on, give us some more information about this. This is a most important issue.
Vainamoinen

Postby mrwar » 05 October 2012, 23:51

Vainamoinen wrote:System requirements state INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED FOR THE GAME ACTIVATION.

I'd assume that this not only applies to the Steam version, but also to the retail release, which reportedly does not have Steam.

But I definitely concur: Come on, give us some more information about this. This is a most important issue.

They are not answering because it HAS Act Control DRM besides Steam just like Game of Thrones AND it is not stated in the Steam store page (as it is not in the Game of Thrones page). Pity, I will not play this game also and I did like the art and gameplay videos...
Well, there is always another good game without DRM to choose.
mrwar

Postby Vainamoinen » 06 October 2012, 16:59

I was talking about the retail/boxed release exclusively. Freki already answered this:

Freki wrote:Hi,

You won't need to have steam on your PC to play Of Orcs and Men.

Freki

We knew already that there would still be DRM on the disc version. What's missing is an explicit statement which one.
Vainamoinen

Postby daveyd » 07 October 2012, 15:30

Freki wrote:Hi,

It's important for a studio to protect its games that's why Of Orcs and Men will have a DRM protection.

As Of Orcs and Men is a game inviting you to play an orc, it would be great if you can play on console if you don't like DRM version.

Freki.

That rationale is complete and utter nonsense. DRM has NEVER prevented piracy; all it ever does is inconvenience paying customers / prevents would be customers from purchasing your product. CDProjekt Red releases DRM-Free games and they seem to be doing pretty well for themselves.

Shame, I was definitely going to buy this game, but after finding out it will have DRM, then thanks I'll pass. I consider DRM malware / spyware and I'm not going to pay for that. The fact that you won't ever give a straight answer as to what type of DRM is included is very telling. Congrats, you just lost a sale!
daveyd

Postby Delicieuxz » 07 October 2012, 23:20

heXen wrote:Hi. I will know which protection system will have Of Orcs and Men. If the retail version require DRM as steam or Origin.

Why this question? Simple. i wanna preorder the game but, i hate DRM as Steam, so if game require steam I would like to know before ,so i don't buy it.

tnx in advance.

It's a common misconception that Steam is DRM. Steam is a delivery system, and as part of their service developers can make use of CEG DRM which Steam offers, or tying the game execution to the Steam client. Some games, most notably older games, do not require Steam to be running in order to launch. Skyrim, when it was newly released, did not require Steam to be running in order to be launched. However, Bethesda changed that in an update and it has required Steam for a long time now. But a game using Steam doesn't mean that it has DRM. I hope all the upcoming popular kickstarter project will take note of this fact.
Delicieuxz

Postby heXen » 10 October 2012, 08:26

technically is a DRM.

mrwar wrote:Come on, someone answer us, is there Act Control DRM on the Steam version? Just a yes or no answer will suffice.

no offical answer for the moment and the game will be released tomorrow. At this poit no pre-order. I will go to a game store and look at the back cover. If require steam Of Orcs and Men remain on shelf.
heXen

Postby Vainamoinen » 10 October 2012, 20:33

What now, STILL no official word on this?

All right then, interest officially lost.
Vainamoinen

Postby Orcmen » 11 October 2012, 13:01

heXen wrote:technically is a DRM.

mrwar wrote:Come on, someone answer us, is there Act Control DRM on the Steam version? Just a yes or no answer will suffice.

no offical answer for the moment and the game will be released tomorrow. At this poit no pre-order. I will go to a game store and look at the back cover. If require steam Of Orcs and Men remain on shelf.

If steam is needed was already answered, see here.

also: steam is not a DRM!
Orcmen

Postby Motoki » 29 November 2012, 05:23

To answer some questions that Cyanide couldn't be bothered to answer, Of Orcs and Men has Act Control DRM, with a 10 activation limit and this is also present on the Steam version even though the Steam store page does not list any 3rd party DRM at all.

See here:

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/s ... ?t=3018836

It's extremely misleading and shameful that neither Cyanide nor Focus Home Interactive made sure the Steam store page was clear to list the Act Control DRM with limited activations as this is important information that purchasers of the game need to know. And no, 'Just go buy the console version if you don't like DRM' is not an acceptable response.

As for those arguing whether Steam is or isn't DRM, regardless of what label you place on Steam's account authentication, the fact remains that Steam already verifies that people running software from there are the legitimate owner of that software, therefore it is unnecessary and unreasonable to force additional disc based DRM on people who buy their games from Steam.

Furthermore, it is a feature of Steam that you can re-download and re-install your games as many times as you need to. This sort of archaic, draconian DRM takes that convenience feature away and penalizes paying customers while leaving pirates free to play the game without limits.

And don't fool yourself into thinking this petty Act Control DRM can defeat pirates. It can't. It only penalizes the paying customers.
Motoki

PreviousNext

Return to General