Final Steam Achievement

Having tech problems? Need a driver? Post them here and do not worry, there is always a solution for you.

Re: Final Steam Achievement

Postby Omnisciurus » 19 May 2013, 17:30

Over a week without an official reply?

Come on, guys, you can do better.

At the very least, renaming the achievement clears up the confusion of two achievements having the same name. And I still believe this mistake is likely the cause of the non-functioning "I'm the boss" achievement. If changing the name doesn't fix the problem, you might as well just remove the useless meta-achievement. Can't imagine a single person would complain about that.

Plus, I know for a fact that changing an achievement name is not impossible. The game Sanctum changed the name of one of its achievements less than a week ago ("Forever Alone" into "Copyright Troll"). Exactly the same achievement, just a different name.

So I ask you, what's the harm in trying?
Omnisciurus

Postby Omnisciurus » 10 June 2013, 06:33

So, it's been a month since a possible fix to the problem was posted.

Could we have an update on the issue? Is there any hope that the achievement-name mistake will be fixed anytime in the future?
Omnisciurus

Postby DarKena » 13 June 2013, 17:43

No one cares to our problem ...
DarKena

Postby Omnisciurus » 18 June 2013, 15:06

Another week of silence.

Can we finally have some news? An update on the situation? Anything?
Omnisciurus

Postby Sirkel » 19 June 2013, 08:53

Hi,

We're investigating the issue. Your feedback and theories have been taken in account. I can't tell when it will be fixed, that's out of my reach, but I'll post here as soon as we have information to share.

Sorry for the answering time.
Sirkel

Postby Omnisciurus » 20 July 2013, 05:55

It's been a month without a reply, guys. Well over two months since a fix to the problem was suggested.

So I''ve got to ask... How hard is it to rename/remove a single achievement?

Like I said previously, Sanctum has recently renamed one of theirs without a problem. In addition, Torchlight 2 is removing four achievements that have been classified as "unachievable".

It's a perfectly fixable issue. Honestly, how is this taking so long?
Omnisciurus

Postby Freki » 23 July 2013, 10:40

Hi,

We apologize for the inconvenience.

Could you please:
- Provide us the save of your game (available in MyDocument/Of Orcs and Men)
- Tell us all what you did. We try to reproduct the bug.

If you prefer, you can send me all information by private message.

Many thanks for your help.
OF ORCS AND MEN
Focus Team
Freki

Postby Omnisciurus » 23 July 2013, 16:29

The problem is not what I did. The problem is that the achievement is not working for anybody at all.

While the Steam global stats show that 0.1% of players have the achievement, this percentage can be attributed to people who have used Steam Achievement Manager or other similar programs to unlock achievements manually, without actually playing the game.

"I'm the boss" is broken. Unachievable. Does not work.

My theory is this: "I'm the boss" can never unlock, because it requires the completion all other 45 different achievements. However, for some reason, the game has two achievements with exactly the same name:

In the console version of the game, one of these achievements is actually named "Back to business".

Apparently, someone made a mistake while copying the achievement names for the PC version. Therefore, there is no achievement in the PC version that's named "Back to business". I'm guessing that "I'm the boss" checks for the completion of each achievement by name, and since it is not possible to confirm the completion of "Back to business" – since an achievement with such a name does not exist in the game – "I'm the boss" can never unlock.

Possible solutions: either rename the incorrectly-named achievement or remove "I'm the boss". I have previously brought examples of both solutions working:

The game Sanctum had an achievement titled "Forever Alone", but changed the name into "Copyright Troll". Functionally, the achievement remained exactly the same, only the name was changed. In other words, simply changing the name of a single achievement is entirely possible.

The game Torchlight 2 had four achievements that could not be unlocked – these are now classified as unachievable in the global stats page and will be removed shortly. Note that these unachievable achievements also have 0.1% completion, despite there being no legitimate way to actually earn them (achievement hacking programs at work again).

In regards to what I personally did in the game: I played through the game on the highest difficulty, beat the last level, and unlocked five achievements simultaneously ("Rakash", "Mercenary", "Warrior" and "Bloodjaw" for finishing the game at the respective difficulty levels, "Repeat offender" for finishing the last level). I already had all the rest of the achievements at that point. However, I'm the Boss failed to unlock along with the others.

I hope this gives you all the necessary information to fix the problem.
Omnisciurus

Postby Sirkel » 30 July 2013, 15:11

Hi,

Our tech team could still use your save games if you can send it to us, for further investigations about this issue.

Please link it to a post on the board, or send it to me using PMs, so I can forward it to the tech team.
Sirkel

Postby Omnisciurus » 30 July 2013, 16:25

Alright, I sent you the link to download all my save games.

I hope that the issue will be resolved soon. I mean, it's very likely that simply renaming that one achievement to "Back to business" will solve everything.

At any rate, I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
Omnisciurus

PreviousNext

Return to Technical Forum